Thursday, January 19, 2006

Campaigning

It's important to know that more then one D&D game is going on in/around Messiah College. (The Subject of a MORPG - Messiah's Organization of Role Players and Gamers - Is another post entirely).

First of all, I think that there are way more people/D&D groups around campus then anyone things. I'm constantly finding out about a friend of a friend who DM's for a group of twelve, because they only have one person who DM's and he can't run two games.

Secondly, I think that the reason the myth of D&D as being satanic has been so long-lived, is because people who play it are so secretive. "What are you up to tonight?" "uhh... hanging out with some friends...nothing really". I'm not suggesting that we all shout it from the mountain tops, but be honest about it if someone asks. What is it your doing? Interactive storytelling, using dice to determine the outcome. That happens to be called D&D in my case, but the same system is used for other settings such as Star Wars. I haven't heard that Star Wars is Evil, so it can't be the role-playing aspect. Nor can it be the fantasy setting, since LoTR has shown that Fantasy can be both popular and have Christian Undertones.

And the last reason that I'll be talking about my game, is because it makes for great posting material.

2 Comments:

Blogger brenderlin said...

Dude, can *I* learn how to cast spells when I make 8th level?

7:10 PM  
Blogger Andrew said...

No. That's evil. Well, I thing that's evil. D&D is evil.

7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home